Thursday, June 11, 2009

Compost is happening now.

SF Board of Sups just passed the country's most progressive compost and recycling law! Read more about it here. SF creates a football field worth of trash Every. Day! and 40% of it can be composted, creating new soil amendments for local farmers. I love the full circle of it all.
 
It's a shame that people have to be forced to sort their trash through the threat of fines, a more comprehensive education campaign may have been a better move...but what is clear is that there needs to be a broader awareness of the waste we create as individuals and households and what we can do to reduce that waste. 

I love taking my kitchen compost bin to the green can every few days--it's always more full than the black bin--I just think of that beautiful soil that's growing the veggies I buy at the farmers' market each week. Complete the circle. Compost. 

No comments: