Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Looking hard at things hard to look at

Estate Sale: I stumbled upon an estate sale this weekend, my first, on the way home from the grocery store, my organic-local foods grocery store. I walked up the staircase looking for great finds. but instead i was moved to tears. the kitchen was what broke me, half filled bottles of dusty schnapps and Italian ports just where the owner had left them. cookbooks, pots, pans--all as they had been left. Then there were closets full of clothes. A bed, barely made up, with a spot worn in by the people who slept there day by day.

Recycler by Ocupation: tonight is the second night I've seen someone go through my trash. As I stood talking to an old friend on the phone, this dude methodically picked out all my beer cans and glass bottles to send to the recycling. there's just something so strange in seeing a person make something out of stuff you thought was nothing....

No comments: